Thursday, January 13, 2011

How to Overcome a Fear of Hypothermia

2011 Coney Island Polar Dip

The only advice I can give: Run in as fast as you can, and get out quicker.  When I reached the shore and felt the icy, January surf wash up on my toes, I instantly pulled back on my boyfriend's hand.  There was just no way I was doing it.  But I did.  Twice.  It was one of the proudest, most exciting and exhilarating activities I have done in my life.  I can’t wait to do it again in 2012!

The Coney Island Polar Dip is an annual event that takes place on January 1st.  Other Polar Dips are scheduled all along the East Coast from Maine to Virginia.  The purpose of these events is to raise money and awareness for Camp Sunshine.  The donations and pledges go to children with life threatening illnesses and their families. 

Thrill seekers like my boyfriend, Chris and I joined the Coney Island Polar Bear Club Saturday, January 1, 2011 in the brisk Atlantic Ocean and helped raise over $46,000.00 for Camp Sunshine. 

2011 is going to be a great year. 


No comments:

Post a Comment