Thursday, January 13, 2011

How to Start Fresh

New Yorker is what I wanted to be when I grew up.  It still is. 

Acquiring citizenship status is an unclear and never ending debate between those born here and transplants.   There are many guidelines, expectations, and prejudices that stipulate when you are, in fact, a New Yorker.  What does it take?  Some people argue it takes five or ten years before you earn the right to be from the greatest city in the world.  I believe you are from a place when you have lived there longer than the place you were raised. 

I am from Hope, Kansas, a town of nearly 300 people.  I went to a school that was an elementary, junior high and high school in one three-story, brick building in the middle of the town, a town that didn’t have a stop light or even a Starbucks.  I spent six years in Hope, and I haven’t looked back. 

I arrived in Brooklyn in January 2005 with my luggage and a small list of Things To See including Chinatown, Little Italy, Times Square on New Year’s Eve and more nauseating tourist traps. Needless to say, the list was completed and thrown away.  Since then I have seen and done more activities that I could have ever imagined existed. 

Hello.  My name is Tiffany Lynch (Hi, Tiffany Lynch), and I am a New York transplant.  I have been living in citizenship limbo for six years.  This year in New York City marks my first official year as a local. 

No comments:

Post a Comment